Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Temptation

One of the nice things about eventing was, I had basically accumulated all the stuff that I needed to do the work.  I had to replace an item here and there as something wore out or got used up, but I was mostly unmoved by even the shiniest of possibilities.  I'd look at it and shrug.  That's nice, but I already have one, and even the fancy examples, That's nice, but I like mine better.

Now that I'm venturing into a new sport, this is, uh.  Rather less true.  The baseline requirements are similar, but there are all these spiffy variations and slight modifications!  And I am philosophically minimalist but still a gearhead at heart.

Oh, well.

In other news, I clocked Tucker's working trot last week at 8.5mph.  For whatever that's worth!

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome!

    Also, I promise the tack temptation does improve with time. My 'things I want' list has gotten significantly smaller over the past six months. Admittedly it helps that I'd like things in FLAMING HOT PINK and that's pretty hard to find.. but still! (Although I bought a saddle. Post forthcoming once it shows up. That doesn't help my case much, huh.)

    That is a nice forwards moving trot :) Silly pony needs to learn from Tucker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine the temptation that lies at the intersection of horse gear / emergency preparedness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,
    Just realized that you are following my blog :-) Think it's great that you're trying a "new" to you sport. Will have to do some reading & catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to fight off the beast that says 'get more tack!' I know it is for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave up trying to fight the temptation to get new tack long ago. Of course, I am limited by funds, but when I can I do like to try out something new. It paid off once when I got some rubber reins, which I had always sworn were repulsive and vomit-inducing compared to good quality leather. But, once in a fit of craziness, I bought some, and it turned out that I loved them and will never go back to leather! So you never know when you might find something that works well that you wouldn't have expected to:)

    ReplyDelete