If you finish (or not) with a tired horse, how do you know if you over- or under-conditioned (or if the problem was something else entirely)?
I have achieved acceptance re: the likelihood that I won't ever know why Tuck was NQR when we got pulled. I'm not sure it actually matters why he was tired -- because I do know that he was tired, those last 5-6 miles -- except insofar as I would like to attempt more 50s and at some point I'm going to need to figure out how I want to prep him for the next.
Here's what I know: due to my burnout, we were hacking near-exclusively all summer and fall. He did 15-18 miles the weekend before GMHA, which was more than I had intended; I felt my hand was forced by Saddle Fit Crisis 2.6 and the need to figure out what set-up I was going to run. He then had Monday through Friday off prior to the ride. He was going a rough average of 20-30 miles per week, split between 4-5 rides, generally maxing out at ~15 miles or 3 hours on a given day. (That's one 3-hour or 15-mile day in a week! And shorter other days. Just in case that wasn't clear.) He did 26 (flat) miles in one day almost exactly a month before the 50 attempt, and he did a hilly 25/25 in early August (~10 weeks out).
![]() |
| 25/25: not tired! |
My gut says that, vacation aside, it would be a bad idea to back off him toooooooo much. He's historically a horse that does better with consistent riding interspersed with a week off here and there; he feels better, physically and mentally, in that sort of program than he does in one where he goes twice a week and hangs out for a few days in between. I am thinking four rides most weeks, sometimes five, and I am thinking more variety: more long walks and schooling days to go along with the working hacks. I will probably be able to haul out once a month or so (though winter-dependent!) for a long-ride day, either something sanctioned or else a DIY LD locally.
But I'm really not sure what to shoot for, in terms of mileage and/or time. The arguments against riding a ton of miles make good sense to me, but I'm just not sure we have the base to go super-rested yet. (Also, I really like to ride. I am starting to understand why so many endurance riders have multiple horses.) I also have no idea how to tell -- aside from wonky metabolics, which I am pleased to report that we absolutely did not display -- the difference between tired for conditioning-and-terrain reasons and tired for nutrition-or-electrolyte reasons.
Please advise?
In current events, Tucker nickered when he saw his bridle this morning. Best pony! I've been getting bored with the longing routine, so added in a couple of poles and amused myself by watching my Genius Event Horse think about his footwork. He has never found poles on the ground compelling. 3'6" fences, yes! Poles on the ground, no. But he seemed pleased to see an obstacle, any obstacle, and thought hard about where to put his toes. I'll be scheming to add more poles and maybe raise 'em to cavaletti -- though we don't currently have any Bloks and I am much too lazy to set up longe-line-safe jump standards and then tear them down again, so we'll see -- over the remaining two weeks of our spin-in-circles routine. And then we ride!
Also, two thumbs up for the dry cow mastitis treatment approach to thrush. (I have a bottle of White Lightening, but I hate soaking feet, so decided to try this first.) It is a pretty thin liquid, but the second I started wedging cotton into the heel cracks on his front feet and squirting the stuff in behind, everything started looking much, much better. Tractor Supply is the best, you guys.
Also also, I jump crewed for some barnmates last night and am pleased to report that 3'3" still looks very doable to me. It would be no big thing if it didn't -- usually I lose some comfort when I go a while without jumping and then get it back within a couple of schools when I start jumping again -- but it made me happy. First saddle-search priority is distance-friendly gear, but I am really hoping that I'll have enough pennies left over to pick up another jump saddle once that's done. (If all else fails, I have my old Collegiate and that would work for occasional hopping, but it turns out that I am slightly larger now than I was at fifteen, so.)

I do not profess to really have a significant idea what I'm doing, but can relate as a fellow non-Arab rider, so.. here goes lots of anecdotal stuff!
ReplyDelete- Fetti was tired and tried to quit on me on our first 25. I blame lack of speed-conditioning plus a newness to distance and not knowing when to back her off.
- Fetti was tired, REALLY tired, after Fireworks (2nd 25, first this season). I've been riding roughly 25 miles/week spread between 3-4 days pretty much all this year. I think several things contributed to that tiredness. I did a several-mile pre-ride at speed the day before; that was dumb (for us) and not something I'll be doing again. Lesson learned. Also, Fireworks has a LOT of substantial steep hills. Those appear to be our nemesis.
-And then there was our most recent 3rd 25, where it was hot, but rolling hills, and I know she worked hard.. but she wasn't tired and she recovered brilliantly (for her). I didn't change anything much about our conditioning plan. I'm thinking maybe she needs more time to peak than she had before Fireworks, or maybe Fireworks is just plain going to be a hard ride for her.. but this was roughly the same trail as our first one last year, and I had WAY more horse than expected.
My current working plan is to back down to 1-2 short speed works weekly and not stress over the longer rides til spring, when I'll (probably? so far?) aim for 1-2 fast rides and 1-2 longer/moderate speed weekly, still shooting for roughly 20 miles weekly but not stressing too much over any of it. It all sounds so good four months out...
I realized I have a lot more thoughts to go along with all that, so I'll get a post up tonight!
DeleteYay, I will look forward to reading it! And thank you for the preliminary thoughts. :)
DeleteThere are SO MANY VARIABLES. Which I think is really cool -- eventing has relatively more variables than dressage or the horse show disciplines, IME, but this is a whole 'nother order of magnitude and I find the variety really appealing -- but wow, it does make for a lot of STUFF to keep track of and manipulate!
I've been thinking about the short/fast versus long/slow ride variety lately (in part because of one of those articles Mel linked on zee book of faces)...part of my problem is that I don't have great options for making more difference between my types of rides at home. I can go out and walk for a long time, of course, but I don't have an accessible-off-the-property trail loop where I can reliably Go Fast (for whatever currently appropriate value of fast) without interruption for X time/distance. One loop has a lot of footing-and-terrain-related interruption and the other has a lot of pedestrians and dogs. So some of my faster-than-a-walk rides involve cantering/galloping and some don't, but the MPH over the entire ride tends to end up looking the same no matter what my intent was going out.
I'm hoping that that reintroducing schooling rides will help. I've always felt like my horse works harder during a dressage school that he does during day of trot sets, anyway, and not too many pedestrians or rocky patches in the indoor!
I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you. I never did any 50s and always stuck to the 25/30 milers. I just never had the time or patience to try and get my horse conditioned for anything longer. I did ride an Arab and at 25 miles conditioning was super easy. 50 miles+ definitely took a lot more time and thought.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I've read something about "the 35-mile wall" that is a known thing (not a hard-stop, but a common thing that must be worked out/gotten through), but my searches trying to find it again I'm mostly only turning up that being the point where horses that don't eat/drink start getting into trouble...which isn't us. So the search continues!
DeleteI felt like a superhero for cruising through those 25-milers with such relatively straightforward success. LOL This is a much more interesting problem, but man!
In my experience, this is a problem that just resolves itself. Your mileage sounds fine! He'll get fitter as you keep conditioning him and entering him in rides.
ReplyDeleteI so hear you on complicated problems. I felt like a superhero when I managed two 50s in a row. Now I can't quite get it together to go a hundred, but it's the most fascinating problem I've ever tackled.
I feel like when I was in school and I finally, after years of cruising, found something the right combo of hard and interesting to actually be _worth_ studying. So cool.
DeleteI have no idea, but I am so interested in reading the comments. :D
ReplyDeleteI totally do that to other people's posts. LOL
DeleteGood! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. :D This has been such an interesting discussion.
DeleteFunder said what I was gonna guess. So I'm with her! Haha.
ReplyDeleteSupport of existing advice is good, too!
DeleteI am, as you know, not a distance rider, so take this with a grain of salt!
ReplyDeleteOne thing that struck me about your recap was the hillwork that you reported being on the ride. Could part of the fatigue be due to that? So it seems to follow that incorporating schooling, and building that topline/back end muscling in addition to wind would help. Lots of poles and seeking out hills on hacking rides.
Great minds! I am honestly not sure how to simulate the long, long, long climbs (other than hauling up to Vermont and making you show me the trails by your barn, which I am hoping to arrange for late winter/early spring...), but we will definitely be walking the hills at home and I'm hoping that longing-over-poles and jumping grids will help...
DeleteMostly I'm flummoxed because I average 1000 feet of elevation gain per hour of riding at home. I would think that would be enough! But apparently not. O.o
I don't think I'd do a lot more than what you did for the first one. You don't condition for a 50 miler by riding 50 miles...So I think they get MENTALLY tired rather than physically tired on that first 50. I have heard a lot of experienced riders talk about the mental wall they hit at about the 35-40 mile mark on that first big ride. It's that moment when they have to buckle down and go further than they have ever gone before. Next time he'll know how far he has left to go. I rode a "non Arab" (Standardbred) in 50 mile races and our programme was 2 short rides during the week (one arena session, one 8 mile short quick ride) then a long ride on the weekends (maximum of 23 miles). The only thing we did different before our first ever 50 was stitch 2 long rides (23 and 22 miles) together over a weekend, so 23 miles Saturday, 22 miles Sunday. Now he's "a 50 mile horse" the most we do is that 22 mile loop about 2 weeks out from a ride. Then taper, taper in the last 2 weeks.
ReplyDeleteMentally-tired is a good thought. This horse is such a nosy thinker and a trier, I don't think of him as ever getting to the bottom of that well, but certainly this was the longest he'd ever been under saddle and it would be totally fair if he found being "on" for that long, navigating the trails/terrain, etc., to be kind of overwhelming.
DeleteThanks for the program tips, too!
I have nothing to add for ocnditioning, but I do have an antique but usable Stuben jumping saddle that fit me at 18 but is not used at all now that I'm cough53cough, and if you wanted to try that it could work and is free.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I may take you up on that! I liked the Stubben I tried briefly during the month of many saddles and it seemed like a viable Tucker-fit aside from being much, much too wide. Let me get back with you after Thanksgiving and we can investigate farther? Thanks!
DeleteIt seems as though you are on a good path, but since you asked for advice, here is what my conditioning program looked like for a lot of years. I rarely pulled and was a middle to back of the pack rider with some top tens (accumulating miles was always my goal).
ReplyDelete1. I "tried" to do 6 - 10 endurance rides per year (50s - 100s and multi-days). Endurance rides count towards your conditioning miles.
2. My horses never got extended time off. The most they ever got off was two weeks and that was after completing a 50 (or higher mileage).
3. Every Saturday (EVERY SATURDAY) they went 12 - 25 miles at a 5 - 6 mile an hour pace. The distance depended on what was next on my ride calendar and what we had most recently completed.
4. Twice a week they went out for 6 miles or so done in an hour (more or less).
5. Most of my horses wore shoes (one was barefoot in the back), and I used Easyboots if the footing was funky.
6. My horses had free choice alfalfa and were supplemented with beet pulp and rice bran and electrolytes when needed.
And that was my program. :0)
Thank you! I really appreciate other people's info; I'm not going to slavishly follow anything but I find it much easier to work on this stuff when I have somewhere to start.
Delete