The clinic went well, though, aside from the part where my three-year-long streak of staying on top of the horse came to an end over (or more precisely, on top of) a two-foot vertical, of all things. Horses and rust, man. Horses and rust. We were jumping down a grid and then turning out of it to first an oxer (no problem) and then a skinny: problem in that I kept getting Tuck to it on a half-stride and an uncommitted line and he felt he could not be expected to work under those conditions, which: at full height, okay, but with the top plank dropped off, pony, your job is to jump no matter what the monkey on your back has gotten up to!
But I was due, and we redeemed ourselves with the rest of the lesson. Made a few unsurprising biomechanical tweaks -- weight over my feet, shoulderblades together, give the hand more over top of the fence -- and for Tucker the theme was gratifyingly similar to what I've been trying to make happen on the flat: neck longer and straight between the shoulders without locking through the body and keep the RPMs up. The feeling when it's right is very distinct -- there is horse under the saddle instead of nothing, yes? -- and it was great fun to jump some stuff for real again and encouraging to feel like I'm basically on the right track in my solo work. I'm very, very rusty, though. Not sure whether to hope the video surfaces (because Tuck felt like he was jumping awfully well towards the end) or hope it doesn't (because his rider, not so much!).
We now officially have A Lot Of Snow on the ground outside, along with a vicious icy crust that has the horses on very limited turnout and our ride schedule converted to all dressage in the indoor, all the time. The work is interesting to do, but not so much to write about, and Project: Gear Up For Distance Season continues apace...
And it would be Awfully Nice to go out hacking one of these days.
But not today. Today we did walking lateral work in the indoor until I couldn't feel my toes. Winter is

I can relate on all counts (with the exception of the endurance work). Let there be spring!
ReplyDeleteI hope the snow lets up for you guys and I really want to watch your video, hopefully its available soon!
ReplyDeleteI am so done with the snow! The indoor arena looks smaller and smaller every day we ride in it.
ReplyDelete