I cannot beat Amanda's assessment of the current season.
I've been tolerant of this winter, honestly. I like seasons, and I like winter, and I kept telling myself that really this is business as usual. Every year feels for a while like it really ought to be spring already. Then I looked back at my ride calendar for last year and...well:
I didn't ride a whole lot, obviously, but notice what we were doing when I did. Hacking! Not just walking hacks, either, which means that the footing was something other crusty treacherous ice. The last "snow hack" notation in my 2013 calendar? February 21st. If Tuck and I were out trotting trails at the old barn, we were well into mud season and quite possibly starting to see the other side.
(And my old dog was still here, and getting the Adequan that had him feeling better, for a couple of months, than he'd felt in years. I miss him all the time. I'm so, so glad we were able to give him those couple of months.)
So I quit. I keep trying to hack and the footing keeps being crappy and not a useful kind of crappy, even. When the weather is pleasant and the time of day is right, we'll go out and do roadwork. When it's not, we'll hide in that gorgeous indoor we're lucky enough to have or else he can just have the day(s) off. But dude, if I wanted to struggle through frozen slush, I'd have stayed in Illinois. Until New England gets its act back together, I quit.
::flounce!::

Ugh I'm sorry ya'll are getting hammered so much by this weather!
ReplyDeletePlenty to go around! :)
DeleteWe are predicted for 6-10" of snow tomorrow night. I give up.
ReplyDelete<3 for Casey. My mom still talks about him.
6-10" of WHAT?
DeleteGood grief.
<3 your mom. She gave him the perfect eulogy: he was the very best Casey he could be.
(He was not very good at being a dog, mind. But he was _excellent_ at being Casey.)
boo weather!!
ReplyDeleteTestify!
DeleteI really feel for you. We've had a crappy winter in VA, but our big problem has been mud instead of snow. I hope spring comes to you soon!
ReplyDeleteI never thought I would feel warmly towards mud -- I hate the tendon-sucking stuff -- but at this point I am jealous!
Delete(Although not of you having to deal with mud + feathers. Yikes!)
::fistbump of solidarity::
ReplyDeleteYup. With you on the "love seasons" thing and the whole "felt like forever last year but then it passed" thing. Hell, in WV we got 60" snow in March alone last year. But all the bitter bitter bitter cold this year has sapped my spirits. That added to the whole "I live in a barn and have to get out and in my car 4x to open and close 2 gates" thing...and the barn/field are located in the windiest place I've ever experienced in this town....yeah. Over it.
ReplyDeleteI would have sworn I commented on this post...well, here goes again! I hear ya on this winter. I love seasons and I love snow, but this winter has been absolutely ridiculous: way too cold for way too long. On Sunday in our area it was supposed to be 47 degrees and raining all day long. Well, the temperature dropped to 33 degrees and the rain turned into 1" of slush/snice. It felt like we were out in the Rockies, not the Mid Atlantic! Yup: over it too.
ReplyDeleteI hope spring starts showing signs of arriving in your neck of the woods soon!