Returning
to ancient history...weekend before last, I trucked Tucker up to Vermont for a
25-mile CTR out of the Green Mountain Horse Association, which gentle readers
may remember from previous posts as the best place on earth. This was the same ride we’d done last year as
our first and I knew better what to expect from the sport now, but had no idea
what to expect from my horse. Our
dressage school the Tuesday before the ride had been our worst in ages. I should have just scratched the whole plan and gone
out for a hack instead, except for the part where, as I was putting Tuck away,
the barn owner came out to let me know that the whole area was under a
shelter-in-place order due to a local having fired shots at the
police and then bolting, possibly into the same (large, but still) wooded area that I had
thought about hacking…! On Thursday,
Tuck was in much better spirits but also a raving lunatic.
So
off we went to Vermont with fingers and toes crossed that our troubles would
stay behind.
I
don’t have a whole lot to say about this ride.
It was fantastic. Sunny and
warm-but-not-hot, with excellent company for the 12ish miles prior to the hold
and then mostly just Tuck and me trotting down the trails by ourselves
after. It was a typical Vermont ride: lots
of rolling hardpack country roads between sleepy sprawling farms broken up by
wooded trails with lots of natural water (but at least on this go-round, not
too much mud!). I’m told the trails to
the hold ran through a new easement and our little group paused for a moment at
the top of a hill climb to admire the view – mountains beyond mountains in
every direction – and marvel at how lucky we were to be there, to be on horses,
to have this gift of a day.
Which
is what I keep catching myself loving most about distance. It’s not an adrenaline sport the way that
eventing was and I do miss that – but in eventing, there was always something
of urgency happening in the moment or in the immediate future, and the appreciation
was nearly always retroactive. There’s
just something especially wonderful about having the time and mental space for
a little sense-of-wonder and gratitude right then and there, be it standing on
top of the world with good horses and good friends or cantering in and out of
shadows along a dirt road.
We
finished the 25 miles in 4 hours flat of ride time plus 30min spent at the
lunch hold. I was awfully proud of Tuck
at the hold! He didn’t want to drink
when we came in, but fell right to grazing while we waited in the long vetting
line and when I retrieved him from the volunteer who kindly held him after so I
could run to the bathroom, she reported that he had grazed for another minute
and then dragged her over to the water trough.
So I pulled off his headstall and he drank! First time he’s accepted water before 18-20
miles, I think. Atta boy. He drank a little in the streams at around 20
miles, too, although he’s clearly happier without a bit in his mouth.
The
big winner of our gear for the ride was definitely our Renegades. I didn’t think the trails were especially
muddy, but there was a lot of farrier activity at the hold – but Tuck’s boots never
budged. He seems very comfortable in them,
has good traction over all manner of surfaces, and at this point I just feel
very confident going down the trail with him booted up. And my initial worry that he would chew up his hind fetlocks if (hoof)-booted but not (leg-)booted (he used to ding himself a little with shoes -- not badly, but a little -- and leg boots are not legal for ECTRA CTR) has proved unfounded; I haven't found any evidence of contact at all, not even mud smears or disturbed hair. Hurrah!
The
bad news is that he was a bit backsore, not the day of the ride but the day
after, argh, which: must confess is part of why I was not enthusiastic about
writing this post early last week.
Buuuut the great saddle hunt has been turning its wheels in the
background and I think I’ll have some very good news on that front in near future (fingers crossed, knocking on wood).
I
gave him three days off post-ride and then hopped on for a gentle hack last Wednesday,
eased him back into work over the weekend.
He’s felt excellent: very strong and happy in his body and brain. This also translates into him being a cocky
know-it-all on the trails – darling Tucker has clearly figured out that his job
is to make time where the time-making is good, so he’s eminently responsive
when I adjust his speed, gait, or placement on the trail to cope with an
obstacle and then promptly offers whatever he thinks is best on the backside –
but it’s hard to complain about that!
And he’s developed a lot more in the way of gears to his trail trot; it’s
no longer all big booming travel-trot or else death slog.
We
had a new-to-us trimmer come out (she used to work on Tristan!) last night,
which was great. I accidentally ended up
taking over Tuck’s hoofcare this past winter – didn’t mean to, didn't want to, but we do enough
unbooted road miles that he wears foot about as fast as it grows and I just take his
toes back now and again – which is insane and I
desperately wanted someone to evaluate what we had and either reassure me that
all was well or else get us back on the right track.
Trimmer’s evaluation boiled down to, “I’m not
sure why I’m here.” The upshot is that
everything is basically where it needs to be, but having her there to look at
him with me in real time and help me understand what I was seeing was really great. Plan going forward is to just keep on keeping
on, with the option to give her a call if I feel stuck or confused or if we run
into a problem.
Our
next adventure is a trip to the rail trail this weekend for, if all goes as
planned, a high-mileage training ride with The Other Amanda. I’ll evaluate what happens next based on how
that goes.
…I
guess I did have a lot to say, after all.
And now have (in no particular order) some pictures.
 |
| Looking up from the stream behind Kedron Valley Stables. Vermont is all jungle-y this time of year. |
 |
| Used with permission of Spectrum Photography. This is on the GMHA cross-country course. Almost home, but I wanted a cantering (and snacking) pic! |
 |
| GMHA stabling. C barn, brookside. Home sweet away-from-home! |
 |
| Classic Vermont dirt road. |
 |
| Dressage rings at GMHA. |
 |
| Same, looking back towards stabling. |
 |
| Vetting in the Dust Bowl. |
 |
| Another dirt road. |
 |
| Water stop behind Kedron. |
 |
| My accomodations (and feet)! |
|
 |
| Used with permission of Spectrum Photography. This is our group, just before the hold, and this is such a Tucker picture. Rebel is chowing down, Rufus is hanging out, and Tuck is all, "HEY GUYS THE REST OF THE WORLD EXISTS!" |
 |
| Memorial pathway at GMHA. |
 |
| Best picnic spot, or best picnic spot? (Hint: best picnic spot.) |
 |
| Random piney woods late in the ride. |
 |
| Used with permission of Spectrum Photography. At the lunch old. My partner. <3 |
 |
| A Prelim and a Training fence on the GMHA XC course. Also, a tiny windmill. |
 |
| Back home, having a nice roll after our hack-about-town the other day. |
 |
| Wrong turn? |
 |
| Solar panels on top of the world. You see a lot of these in Vermont now. |
 |
| Prelim XC fence on the hill near the Dust Bowl. There was lots of conversation about these while folks waited for vetting (there are three squirrels in total). I reassured a few people that they actually jump great, although I haven't jumped this particular one myself (the Training squirrel is off to the right of this pic). |
 |
| On top of the world at the new easement. |
 |
| I call this one, "Event horse considers his fate." |
 |
| Drinking! |
 |
| Someone else's food tastes better. (The rider associated with this bucket was long gone and Tuck was not the first to slurp up their leavings. Wish I knew what had been in this mash; he loved it!) |
 |
| Water stop. (This trough is empty, which was too bad because Tucker loves drinking out of those mossy stone troughs, but there is a stream immediately to the right of this picture for horse water.) |
 |
| Looking upstream from the Tuck-head-down-drinking pic earlier. It was a good 10 degrees cooler back in here than out on the roads -- felt great by this point, not quite 20 miles into the ride! |
 |
| Heading home across the XC course. |
Oh it looks so lovely. I am really excited about our move to that part of the country next year! I'm planning on doing one CTR in August here. Just an intro level so not very long, 15 miles maybe? not sure, but anyways it will be fun I haven't done one in so long.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering, also, about your saddle issue and the back soreness you are seeing. Is there ever an acceptable level of back soreness where you think "well, we just rode for 25 miles your going to be a little sore" or is it always a "saddle issue"? It's been long enough since I competed distance and back when I was doing this I knew so much less than I do now that I really don't remember dealing with this problem.
That sounds fantastic -- I bet Loki will love it. And yessssss, come join us once you're out here!
DeleteAll saddle/back issues/worries mentioned on this blog should be caveated by the fact that Tuck has, unfortunately, a history of backsoreness and of backsoreness affecting his performance and our mutual enjoyment of sport and life. Lots of factors and I'm really happy with how we've fixed or mitigated many of them in the last year or two -- but it's definitely a thing about which I am obsessive and at times probably a touch overreactive.
That said, it's a really good question to which I don't have an answer and I hope one of the knowledgeable folks will come along and weigh in!
I do think that when you're dealing with athletes, it's unreasonable to expect 100% physical comfort at all times; there are definitely degrees of minor stiffness/soreness that I read as within-normal-limits and useful information rather than cause for panic. In this case, I have not been updating about the saddle hunt because even I'm sick of talking about it, but let's say I have reason to be confident that this was saddle stuff (and primarily not the saddle that was on his back at the ride). :-p
Buuuuuut my position in general is that I would really like to do 50s, so slightly-but-manageably-sore after a 25 is Not Good Enough.
I hope you are able to find a saddle that will keep you both comfortable!
DeleteSounds like a really great time. Did you sleep in your hammock in the trailer?
ReplyDeleteI did! Could have used another blanket -- I always forget how cold it gets overnight in Vermont, even during the day -- but it is my favorite camping arrangement when the weather allows.
DeleteWell, Vermont is really quite scenic for the three or four months when it's not snowing. I should fly out and borrow a horse some time!
ReplyDeleteThe longer I do distance, the more I find it to be a rather zen sport. It was very adrenaline-y at first, but now that I only very rarely think we're going to die, it's just a lot of enduring discomfort alternating with enjoying the pleasures of a good horse.
I love the hammock and I am extremely jealous of it.
I don't feel like I'm very experienced in endurance yet, but right now what I'm looking for is excessive soreness. I will palpate the whole bar area and check for edema, and I'll watch her really closely while I do it. If she shivers a bit or maybe hollows her back a bit, that's probably ok. If she flinches or snaps at me, that's Not Ok and something needs to change. Does that help?
As always, my thoughts are with you on your Great Grail - I mean, Saddle - Quest.
You totally should! I never feel like my pictures (with crappy smartphone camera and usually too much light) do the place any justice at all. (It's very scenic under four feet of snow, too.)
DeleteThat makes a lot of sense!
Great photos & thanks for the ride story. Is that a Valley stock trailer I see? And tell us about the hammock sleeping -- comfy? easy to hang?
ReplyDeleteI think so! It's a friend's trailer, but Valley sounds familiar.
DeleteHammock is one of these, with the additional straps: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/DOUBLENEST.html REI usually puts them on sale a couple of times a year. It's fantastic -- packs up small and light, goes up easy, veryvery comfortable. I usually underestimate the bedding needed, since you're just hanging there in the air and so very subject to overnight temperature drops, but it's my favorite way to sleep at a show if the weather allows. (Otherwise I just crash on the bench seat in the truck.)
It sounds like a great day.:0)
ReplyDeleteI somehow missed this post on my blog feed! What an AWESOME ride! Thank you for sharing the photos and the story.
ReplyDeleteLove the hammock idea, especially coming from an island where everyone has a hammock in their backyard...I know Charles is going to want to steal that idea for camping!
It's always a huge relief to have a professional approve of the work you're doing with your horse's feet! What great news! I've *finally* been told of a good barefoot trimmer in my neck of the woods and am looking forward to having a professional assess Lily's hoofers. I've reached a wall and need more experienced help. It's wonderful that your new trimmer will be available for consulting if necessary. :)
I don't know why it's taken me so long to read this post! So glad everything worked out and there was no Great Escape! I love the hammock idea - I've been trying to figure out what my sleeping arrangements should be and that looks fantastic: low tech, not heavy, and comfortable:)
ReplyDelete