Monday, June 1, 2015

The World is Weird

My great strength as a blogger is also my great weakness: I am aces with narrative arc. Too much background in reading, writing, editing. I am kickass at context and at fitting individual happenings into the framework of whatever larger story I'm trying (or hoping, for blog stories occurring in real-time!) to tell.

And without said framework, I'm pretty much lost.

Hi.

Been a while, huh?

It's been a weird spring, following on a weird winter, and I suspect anyone left reading this already more or less knows the drill. Here's what you may not know, depending on which reader exactly you are: a few feelers have been put out into the world in the direction of finding Tucker a nice kid (or small adult) to go play with for a while. Or for longer. My priorities are right person and right situation; I'll know it when I see it and all else is details.

The reasons are many and complex and there are months (and in some ways, years) of thought behind this step. If anybody wants to discuss in detail, I'm totally happy to go into my thought process one-on-one; hit me up on Facebook or email, you know? But it's also very simple. I know what my life is going to look like for the foreseeable future and Tucker is just too cool and likes being a working horse and a partner too much to just stand around for ditto.

So we'll see. There's no rush and no urgency. He's fine where he is and I'm enjoying him very much. In some ways, this has taken the pressure off; having decided, I can suddenly just ride again without having to think and question and weigh every option and pro and con. Every ride is delightful -- I hop on, I push the buttons, we have a lovely time -- we really have come a long way, baby. A little hack, a little dressage, a little jumping around: it's all right where I left it and Tuck is oh so happy to play. Which also means every ride also feels like evidence in support.

I won't be posting about the next steps, however few or many they turn out to be; I'm comfortable sharing what I'm comfortable sharing of my story on this blog, but in general I'm not a fan of writing about other folks; their stories are their own to tell. But I figured you guys have hung with me long enough to know at least this much, and we'll just see what happens, you know? Probably won't be blogging much in this space, but I'm still very much reading and always happy to chatter off-blog, and like the title says, the world is weird. Who knows what will happen next?

In meantime, we hauled out to a local park with a friend last weekend. Like so:

Halter-destruction champion of the world.
Stone bridge approach.



Overlooking the Merrimack.
Kind of in-between rhododendron seasons?

Totally cantered up this gentle hill.

5 comments: