Finally got back to work yesterday. Some pony was indeed a wee bit spicy. Obedient but distracted and interested in
about 80% crazy-legged flailing zoominess to 16% organization (to 4% devouring
ALL the clover).
We went down to the park and we trotted and trotted and trotted,
and then snuck off into the side field for a lap of hand-gallop each way, and
walked home again all sweaty and satisfied.
(Seriously sweaty. I don’t
know if it was warmer than expected yesterday or what, but I went out again
after dark with the young dog to continue our little pit-bull-to-5k project and
returned home looking like I’d gone for a swim.
C’mon, New England! Almost
September now!)
Tonight’s plan: slather on the bug juice and take advantage of the
recent dry weather (and resulting mud-free trails) to trot up the mountain a
couple of times. Beyond that, I was
hoping to get in a gymnastics school this weekend but it looks like I’d be
flying solo and I’m not feeling the prospect of getting on and off a million
times to set the lines – so maybe we’ll play in the sandbox instead. I’m toying with the idea of adding some long
canters to our steady-state rides during these next few weeks. On paper I guess that’s a bit aggressive for
a first-season distance horse? But he has a good canter and years of prior
conditioning at the gait, albeit for another sport, so I feel comfortable
modifying the gospel accordingly.
In other news, the distance from “newly roached mane” to “okay,
but my clipper-hand is starting to get itchy…” is apparently five weeks on the
dot, with my aesthetic sweet spot right about three. Alas, his mane is starting to look a little
too long juuuuuust as it becomes long enough to again be a useful handle for
mounting up, grabbing mane over a jump, etc.
On the other hand, I would still rather clip once a month than pull once
a month! And I really like the quick
visual confirmation of whether or not Mr. Please Ride Me Always And Exclusively
With Your Right Rein is reaching straight out to the bridle, so I think he’s
stuck with the Mohawk look for a while yet.
How interesting, cutting hair to see reins. I just cut about 4 inches of Rose's but can't bring myself to cut it all off... though I am also at a stage where no hair might be useful.
ReplyDeleteAnd cantering is fun... if they've got a good canter, can take long distances at it and pulse down fine, go for it! My goal is eventually to be able to do a lot more cantering on Rose once I get her balanced out.
I agree re: revising gospel. Given Tucker's consistent previous levels of fitness, his age (it's not like he's a young greenie still growing, right?), and your ability as a rider, you are well within responsible limits of exertion to enjoy some long canters. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteAlso, the roached mane bit made me smile. :D