Wednesday, September 4, 2013

All Dressed Up...

So I have been meaning to write up a nice bouncy post about how I vet-scribed the 15-mile Conditioning Distance Ride that was part of GMHA's Distance Days last weekend, with highlights such as:
  • What a grand time I had and how useful to see the vetting process while standing next to the vet instead of at the horse's head!
  • The gift of being presenting for a debriefing with a rider who hadn't finished but was so proud of and in love with their horse and who had gotten so much experience and education out of the ride and man, it just made my day.
  • The bit where I discovered that "endurance friendly" is maybe not just a myth after all? I literally had not finished getting out of my car before being greeted by somebody from the last ride and I have eventing friends, right?  But mostly folks I have been in a barn with, or seen season after season for years.  And I mean, I lean hard in the direction of I-am-an-island-and-I-do-my-own-thing when not among existing friends; when I come and go without making any new buddies I tend to chalk that up to me an antisocial more than to anything else.  So it felt really new and warm-fuzzy-inspiring, the number of people I ran into in the couple of hours I was there who remembered me and welcomed me back and asked why my horse wasn't there, too -- that is, who not only bothered to acknowledge my existence but also wanted me to come back and play.  I was very touched.
I was going to write about that.  Instead, I am going to write about how I was a little time-crunched today and so hopped on bareback for the first time in a few weeks.  We went out for a walk.  And as we walked, I happened to glance down just back of Tucker's withers and discovered that some pony -- who, mind you, has been less backsore (that is, currently 0% backsore) this summer than he's been in literally years -- has apparently decided to bling up his winter coat with telltale roany pressure patches under the tree points.

ARGH.

Of course I felt like a total jerkface for not having noticed, but they are minimal and scattered white hairs and hard to see -- I checked upon returning to the barn, because I had checked his back pretty thoroughly for soreness yesterday after our hill workout -- while standing next to the horse even if you know what you're looking for.

Definitely there, though.

ARGH.

I realize that this is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things -- now I know and we'll get it addressed and go on from there -- but man, I hate dealing with saddle-fit stuff.  It invariably turns out to be expensive and annoying, and also eats my brain.

ARGH.

That is all.

10 comments:

  1. Distance people really are some of the friendliest in the horse world I think. A tight-knit group that always seems to find room for one more.

    Good luck with the saddle-fit issue. I think I'd rather pluck my eyes out than deal with saddle fitting but maybe that is a little extreme. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that people are people, but the distance-riding thing does lend itself to chattiness more than eventing/dressage -- so much more time hanging around in camp, and then the hours out on trail moving at a talking-possible pace!

      And thanks. I just said on elseforum that I would rather chew glass. :-p But it turned out that a fitter was stopping by the barn today, so he will give me a thumbs up or thumbs down and I know where I'm going next for help if he doesn't think the saddle is workable, so...a plan beats none!

      Delete
  2. YAY for a good weekend and good people and a good time and all that!!!

    Argh for saddle gremlins. :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAY I'm so glad to hear you have friendly riders in your area! Everybody* I've met has been cool, but I've heard from other newbies that other areas aren't so welcoming, so I'm extra happy to hear you had a good time.

    If you had a white horse, you wouldn't have to worry about white spots. You could just blithely assume that no back soreness = no pressure spots and no one could ever prove you wrong, muahahah. I think this explains the popularity of grey Arabs.

    If you embark on the Great Saddle Quest, you may want to consider an english-endurance saddle - you can find something that puts your legs where you want them, with bigger panels for better weight distro (and extra D rings to tie your crap to your saddle). But I sincerely hope you don't have to start the quest, and a new pad or a reflocking will fix Tucker's issues.

    *ok, not everybody, but the snappish unfriendly people are a small minority.

    Also I *love* vet scribing, I always learn so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your white horse theory!

      Your brain is right where my brain is. *g* I have figured that I'll stick with the jump saddle for as long as it seems viable and then start looking for something English-style and dressage-balanced with trail-friendly dees. The whole tree-and-back-shape thing is entirely opaque to me, but I've tracked down the fitter I hope to work with if I end up shopping and if the jump saddle is not workable then I should at least be able to sell it for enough to finance the next, so...could be worse!

      Delete
  4. That's awesome that you had a great experience vet scribing! And it sucks that you have saddle fit issues:( On the other hand, at least you noticed before it became a real issue that manifested itself as behavior issues or real lameness or back problems. And while saddle hunting can be frustrating, finding a good one always feels like you just discovered the Holy Grail, plus you have cool new tack. I hope you post about your search. I plan to start looking for an endurance saddle next year, so I'm interested to hear what ends up working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool new tack is a definite plus -- I had forbidden myself to window-shop for fear that I would be too tempted! If I end up having to go on a search, I will post about it ad infinitum. :-p

      Delete
  5. Boo saddle stuff :(

    Yay for a great weekend and great people!!

    ReplyDelete