Fitter came and thought things were workable, and the reflocking did vastly improve the saddle's balance. But Tuck was been a touch back-sore again last week and he did have two bumps, warmer to the touch than the surrounding skin, over (under?) the white patches to the right of his withers. The bumps didn't seem sensitive but they weren't there before we started, sooooo...
I'll check back in with the fitter tomorrow, and I have confirmed that it's a two-pad situation specifically that Tucker objects to -- a single thicker borrowed pad is fine -- so that gives me somewhere to go re: further experimentation. But I really wish we were working on this in November rather than right now. The idea of making Significant Gear Changes this close to Our Big Ride makes me queasy, and so does the idea of keeping on with the jump saddle while crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't screw him up.
The good news is, even if that saddle is back in the "uncertain" category for distance riding, it is still awfully good at the job it was built for! I showed at up at the barn on Thursday with no clear plan in mind, and the combination of new footing plus jumps set up in the indoor was just too tempting to turn down. So we headed in for our first ringwork-and-jump session since...July? Maybe late June? That seems crazy, but I think it may be true!
I was really pleased. Tucker did feel a little weak, in unsurprising ways; he hasn't been asked for much sit and carry this summer, so I wasn't shocked he found that hard to sustain and tired quickly. But! He was about two hundred percent less defensive, and the overall texture of the ride and of his responses was basically where I wanted it to be. Straighter and simpler, with a better connection from hind leg to hand as well as out-ness to the bit? Yes! And I felt more dialed in and thoughtful, less defensive my own self. All to the good.
The flatwork was basic and the jumping ditto. Couple of crossrails, couple of little oxers, a few times through a low bounce. He was clearly pleased to be jumping -- hunted these, too, as we went around -- and did a nice job of it, jumping up through his withers appropriate to the little stuff. The first time I sent him in over an oxer and down to the bounce, he flattened and ran down the line and had to do some fancy footwork to get cleanly out -- but when we came back around, he smartened up and waited: very nice.
My tentative plan for the winter, once legged back up after Tuck's post-50 holiday, does include some dressage and some gridwork along with our usual long walking bareback hacks
![]() |
| Obviously NOT from Thursday's school. This was baby's first Training back in 2010. Pic by Flatlands Foto and used with permission. |
.jpg)
That's great about your jumping ride! I always feel like my ringwork is so much better after being out on the trails. Nimo is so forward and I'm more confident and assertive, which really helps Nimo. He can't stand riders who are not paying attention and focused on the work. I'm starting to feel like it may be animal (and people) cruelty to do the typical dressage 6-days-a-week-in-the-ring work load. No wonder dressage horses are always acting up!
ReplyDeleteI am willing to believe there are individuals who love dressage more than anything else in the world. I can certainly see the appeal, and I have no reason to doubt folks who say that it's true! But I am the burnout queen, and so. :-p
DeleteIt's amazing how much trail riding/hacking helps the mind and attitude for ring work both in horse and rider.
ReplyDeleteLOL it is a new england wasteland! Glad to hear you back at it :)
ReplyDeleteI love New England in the winter, but geez. :)
DeleteLOVE the jumping pic! Miss seeing you out and about!
ReplyDeleteI may swing by UNH this weekend! It will be a game-time decision. If not (or if you're not there), we should go trail-riding some time!
DeleteI also think that mixing trails with ring work really keeps them happy. I'd gotten ring center for a month or so and when I finally took Rose back out on the trail she nearly pulled my arms out with her desire to go-go-go down those trails.
ReplyDeleteAs to the saddle, I'd worry some about those swollen spots if they bother him on long trail rides. I rode my first 50 in a largely untested saddle (total gamble as I ran out of time to test the saddle before the race) and while we finished I unfortunately discovered after we finished that my horse had two golf ball sized galls from the way the girth sat. I also didn't discover a whole new myriad of tack issues until I started moving up into 50s. My best advice is make sure nothing bumps, rubs, or bounces on the horse. I've learned with my saddle bags to wrench those sucker still otherwise Rose is lame by the end of those miles, especially if we've had hills.
Yeah, it's one thing to rationalize a couple of dry hairs but this is the definitely on the Must Address list. Fitter is coming out for another look and I've set some other wheels in motion, so fingers crossed that a good solution or alternative turns up before I give myself an ulcer!
DeleteInteresting thought on the saddle bags; I've gotten less paranoid about those than I was starting out.
Agree with Caitlin - I've gotten rubs from floppy packs, too.
ReplyDeleteIf it helps - remember that whatever saddle you try, no matter what, it'll be "something new" because it's your first 50. You can't get to "it worked fine last time" til you get a last time! Horrifying but liberating, I think - I was agonizing over glueing boots for VC. Everything you do the first time you try a new distance is "new!"
I feel like this fits right into the good/bad news category! I am completely horrified by the idea of never achieving total mastery, but the second I achieve total (er, let's correct that to semi-) mastery of anything, I am completely bored! I really like the idea that there is always another trail or another distance, etc.
Delete