A non-exhaustive list in no particular order.
Established relationship with this horse.
+
We know each other well. I figure the amount of trust and
communication we've built up and all that practice at reading each other
will be our biggest asset.
- We can push each other's buttons like nobody's business...!
This horse, man.
+
Tucker has turned into a pretty nice trail horse, especially given how
spooky he was starting out. Seems to find the job interesting and
enjoyable. Has a special fondness for solving thick brush and tricky
footing and for riding out in the dark (though that will only be an
issue this season if we get ourselves hopelessly lost...), and a super
work ethic.
- The spook is still in there, albeit in much less
dramatic form. I actually prefer spooky horses (not the spook, but the
overall temperament, yes), so that's basically fine. But I'm not
postive that he won't leave me for dead given sufficiently weird
inspiration. Also Tuck is not by default careful with his feet. Tends
to quickly smarten up given a question he finds worthy of respect, but
sometimes it takes a stumble or three.
Soundness
+
Knocking on wood and crossing all fingers and toes, he has an exemplary
record for holding up to work. Good feet. Good legs. Has been lame
for about three days in the whole time I've had him. Easy to fit up.
Handy and catty and clever. He takes pretty good care of himself.
- Conformation could be better and he is a
fifteen-year-old sport horse. He's had some wear and tear, and a few
issues at his current level of performance that will get a post of their
own. Nothing that strikes me as a clear no-go and they have all been
manageable (and I have a crackpot theory about there maybe being some
therapeutic value to this switch in focus), but I will need to keep an
eye on 'em.
Schooling
+ As well as basic
rideability, I am pleased to hear that all this time spent on dressage
is apparently going to be an asset! That's cool.
- Rider can be a horrible nag.
Time
+
I am having a hard time believing what I hear/read about how little (it
seems to me) conditioning is required to prepare a horse for distance
riding, especially LD. I mean, I believe it in that it's coming from
people who know much more about this stuff than I do and I assume they
are telling me the truth as they've experienced it! But I think I will
have to see it work before I can really buy in. That said, a 4-5
day/week rotation of 2 trail-ride days, 1-2 dressage rides, and a jump
school sounds like a dream schedule to me and will fit beautifully into
the rest of my life -- especially now that I won't have a 150-mile
round-trip to the barn!
- All that time on my hands could make it
easy/tempting to do too much, especially since my innate preference is
to overprepare for everything. I tend to overload my schedule and this
is still a significant commitment. Will need to watch myself.
Resources
+
I've run 6-8 events/season for the last several year along with at
least weekly lessons, the odd clinic or dressage show/hunter pace, gear
and maintenance, etc., etc., etc. I am not saying it was smart of me to
have done all that! But this looks pretty affordable by comparison. I
own all the basic gear already, so I have the luxury of just getting
started and then seeing what tweaks I want to make along the way. I
also have a larger-than-expected REI dividend this year!
- Still
an expensive pet and hobby. Saving for truck and trailer will suck up
any available pennies, and the lack thereof may in meantime restrict our
options somewhat. We'll see what Tucker's maintenance needs turn out
to be for this workload.
Support
+ Have some
great folks in my life who want me to be happy and achieve my goals,
dreams, etc., no matter how silly and/or impractical. Score! Also lots
of horsefolks who are great sounding boards and givers-of-advice and
otherwise all kinds of helpful in all kinds of ways, including letting
me scrape by all this time with no transportation of my own. Lucky (and
grateful) me!
- Distance riding is uncharted territory for most (though not all) of them, too.
Control-freakiness and geekiness
+
I have this theory that the difference between eventers and dressage
riders is that dressage riders want to control everything, whereas
eventers want to know everything but then can work with it being
whatever it is. I feel like this ought to serve me well. Also I am
fascinated by the SCIENCE of sport and by detail work and am fully
capable of submerging myself in learning and experimentation for as long
as it takes (and then some).
- I feel like this ought to serve
me well, which may not be the same thing as it actually doing so! The
flip side of that ability to study is complete insane single-minded
obsession, which definitely does not fall into the serve-me-well
category.
Knowledge base
+ I have been doing
this horse thing long enough to know a thing or two about how to manage
my critter and myself, and/or where to find the answers I don't have as I
need to find 'em. I am pretty sure I will not kill us both.
-
But there are aspects of managing a horse's whole program in which I am
somewhat out of practice. I'll do a future post about some of what I'm
pondering/investigating in service of that not-killing goal.
Outdoorsiness
+
I've done enough hiking and backpacking to feel comfortable in most
normal approximations of wilderness, and to have a sense of what I know
and what I don't. Also to know that I enjoy it!
- Terrible sense
of direction. Minimal experience in the woods with horses. Certainly
there are forest/parks/situations where I would be in well over my head
(though I will be steering clear of those for now).
Fitness
+
Horse fitness I talked about a bit elsewhere. I'm not too concerned
about Tucker; unless we run into a soundness glitch I am confident he
can handle at least the LDs, and we'll see from there. I have been fit
in the past, which is nice, and am probably slightly better than
"normal" fit right now, and have a rough sketch of a plan to improve on
that.
- I am, uh, less fit than I would like at present time. I
can walk walk walk at a decent pace, ride for an hour or two with no
undue consequences, and comfortably made most of the way up Mount
Madison in recent memory. (We got up above the treeline and then the
group decided to head back down.) On the other hand, when I've had
occasion to run for more than a quarter-mile or so at a time, the
results have been pitiful, and I would like to be fitter than I am. I
also have some history of heat intolerance, and have occasionally been
reminded that having heat-related issues and managing them well is not
the same thing as not having heat-related issues.
Hmm.
My
likelihood of dying if/when temperatures rise into the three digits is
not exactly where I wanted to leave this post...but I appear to have run
out of bullet points! So there you go: one scattershot and incomplete
assessment of our current situation. I've been pondering the soundness
thing; I think I will tackle that question next.
I imagine that you'd prep them like one would for XC with lots of rides, maybe less jumping and maybe just more trails.
ReplyDeleteA lot less galloping and a lot more trotting, is my general impression! Sort of the difference between when I was training to run the mile/two-mile in high school and what my friends who run marathons do. Although I hope/assume all those interval sets and long trots we did for the three-day will transfer...
DeleteBut I would have assumed you have to ride lots and lots of miles in order to ride lots and lots of miles and...apparently that's not the case? I mean, lots of miles relative to what some folks do, yes, but apparently not as many as I would have guessed. Weird!
I think that horses can cope with distance riding much better than we tend to assume. Endurance ppl have told me that most horses should be able to be pulled out of the paddock and do 40km (about 25 miles) no problem. I think most people would do interval training for endurance do, which builds fitness in less time.
ReplyDeleteAlso, what's LD exactly? How does it work?
LD is limited distance -- an endurance ride of less than 50 miles.
Delete(That's what I keep hearing, too. Boggles my mind! But I am willing to be boggled!)
My Haflinger does not naturally have a large walk, and does not generally get to work at her big-trot on the trail (because she's a Princess and can't go by herself, and our riding buddies are slower at the trot). Our first 25 last year was tough. We trotted a lot, granted stopped for a lot of gates, walked some. She was ready to quit at mile 22 or so. We finished, but it took her a good 20+ minutes to pulse down to criteria. There are a lot of things I feel like I could have done better, and yeah, preparation was on that list. We're changing things up a bit this year.
ReplyDeleteThat said.. I'm likely to ride with a junior doing her first LD this year. (Uh, yes, it'll be my second one ever.) Her horse has a big trot, likes to move out, is in low-level Eventing shape. I'm pretty confident that we can get them ready in the next three months and won't hit any major problems.
If you can keep a 5mph average or a bit above on your training rides, my guess is that you'll be fine.. even if they are only 10-15 miles rather than 25.
I read your post the other day about your plans for riding/strategizing her in future -- sounds like a really interesting challenge! I will look forward to following you guys. :
Delete