I am not done with eventing.
I still want to go Prelim. I
still want to produce another from green.
I still believe there is nothing in the world like running cross-country
on a good horse. Like so:
But I decided this winter to move on from our long-time barn and since
making that call, I have done a whole lot of thinking about what feels like the
right sort of horse-life now. I have a
substantial commute now, and a boyfriend, and a fragile senior dog, and a motivated
younger dog with which I’ve taken up tracking, and I’m taking a class now with
plans for more in the future, and it’s probably a good thing every once in a
while to be made to stop and reassess my priorities.
When I did that, I discovered the extent to which “compete
actively this year” had slid down my list and been replaced at the top by items
like independence and flexibility, and by being able to devote enough
time/energy/attention to the things that are important to me – horses and sport
included! – without feeling constantly pulled towards thirty different
responsibilities at once and doing a good job with none of them.
So Tuck and I are heading at the end of this week to a barn with
great care and great turnout, with less formal structure and guidance, more
freedom and quiet, and I feel really good about it. I also feel really good about the 5 to 7+
hours of time previously spent in my car that I’ll be getting back every week!
It is a barn that I could very, very easily event out of, if I
wanted to. I’m excited about that. I won’t be competing this year, but I would
like to keep my hand in with a lesson here, a jump school there…and I plan to
be out and about volunteering at some of my usual venues. I will see you guys around!
(Also I am still on the Area 1 educational scholarship committee
and this year’s application deadline is coming up. Just saying.)
Like I said, I won’t be competing this year. For a couple of reasons. Top two:
-
I feel like we need to regroup and try some things different, if
we’re going to have more success at Training, and April is not really the time
to be doing that if one hopes to beginning competing in May or June. Which doesn’t mean that we couldn’t get to
work on that now and hold off on entries until later in the season, but…
-
I am really feeling the itch to have my own wheels. I’ve been getting by through the kindness of
friends but I think the time has come to acquire a truck and trailer of my own. I can’t compete this season and save my
pennies for a rig at the same time, but it turns out that’s a trade that I’m
willing to make.
But I am a goal-oriented competitive freak and felt a little cut
adrift…
…until I remembered that last year, I had tentatively penciled a
Limited Distance ride onto the end of my season. It ended up not happening, but I have been
wanting to try endurance for ages and ages.
I dig endurance sport in general; I’m a former runner, former
backpacker, currently a hiker and tracker. I like details and preparation and plans, and
the execution and implosion and constant reworking thereof. I am fascinated by sport that runs along the
edge of what’s possible. Too chicken
myself to try that hard and cut it that close, but fascinated nonetheless. And much as I love speed and adrenaline, when
I do get out into the woods and start covering steady-state distance, I’m
reminded that this, too, is valuable medicine for my scatter-shot restless
self.
Maybe, I said to myself, here is a chance to provide myself with a
few goals and some structure in a way that will make me more sane, rather than
less. While fitting comfortably into the
rest of my life and while checking a few boxes on my “what I want to do this
summer” list. Hiking and fitness, off
the top of my head.
And maybe here’s a chance to reevaluate where Tuck and I are,
these days, and a new project for the both of us instead of knocking knocking
knocking on those same old doors.
(I have a feeling he is going to love this stuff.)
So no, not done with eventing.
Possibly not even done with eventing this particular horse. Just – on vacation.
Or maybe on staycation, since my favorite eventing venue also
offers organized distance riding and that’s the venue around which I’ve build
my tentative plan. I will describe that
in the next post, and then do the good news/bad news list in post after that. (Sneak preview! Those of you wondering how I’m going to do
this with no transportation? Yeah. Me, too.)

Sounds like fun and very well thought. I am hoping to buy a trailer again in the next year or two as well. I hate not having to rely on others for transportation.
ReplyDeleteYeah. I mean, many people have been very kind to me (and I won't be shopping immediately, so hopefully they will continue to be very kind...!) and I am very grateful. But independence and mobility are pretty important to me and I would like to have more of 'em in my horse-life!
DeleteI sometimes think hard about what it is I'm doing and what do I *really* want from my horsey experience. I don't really have show goals, mainly just goals like "ride outside without me or the pony freaking out", but at some point I will probably need to define what I'm doing a little bit more. I'm at a barn where there is a 'program' and that's good for me right now.
ReplyDeleteI really want to buy a truck and trailer so I can get out of the barn on MY schedule and go do other things! I've never driven a trailer though and I've only driven a truck a few times when I was about sixteen, so I'm terrified about the idea of it. I wonder if there are classes on driving a truck and trailer.....
Nodnod, I think being in a program was a really useful thing for us. For one thing, I couldn't slip out of the lesson-taking habit when resources got tight! Ready to move on now, but glad we had the experience.
DeleteI am comfortable driving a truck and small bumper-pull forwardly, but must admit that I am the world's worst backer-up. I ace the first half of parking the trailer and then get to the point where you have to either keep turning or else straighten the wheel out -- I make the wrong decision every time. Most of my learning came via a very patient friend who would hang out and crochet in the passenger seat while I inched her rig around giant empty parking lots. I highly recommend this route. (Although if they want to take you to a cemetery to practice further, say no!)
Having a rig gives you so much freedom. Then you can start fox hunting too!
ReplyDeleteHa, people keep telling me that! It is on my bucket list. :)
Delete