Really just one, but it's a beauty -- seems certain that I'll be violating the never-try-anything-new-at-the-ride rule this week.
First, the good news. I have been feeling sick about this ride for days. Have been Facebook-chatting with a friend who will also be riding on Saturday about, among other things, the likelihood that our respective ponies will be nutjobs, and this morning I wrote that, I hope the horses feel good! That will be a nice counterbalance to me feeling like I want to throw up. This may or may not have anything to do with last weekend's back-soreness (and actually, is a totally distinct feeling from the sense of creeping dread I historically get when something is meaningfully NQR with the horse, and the creeping dread has thus far been absent, which I'm hoping is a good sign).
This is how I tend to feel in advance of trying Something Big And New. I don't stay interested in stuff that doesn't make me feel this way now and again. Still, not much fun while it's happening.
Then I got in the car and drove to the barn, and the sun had just made its appearance through the morning's cold mist and the foliage is really gorgeous right now and you know, I started feeling okay. The 50 may still be a disaster! But we're close enough to it now that it's going to be whatever it's going to be, and I'll just have to roll with that.
Cue violation of rule #1, the first. When I got to the barn, a chiropractor was working on a friend's horses. I hung out for a bit, watching and chatting, and then asked if there was any chance of adding Tucker in. So he got bodywork (instead of a light ride that probably would have been more for me than for him, anyway) and we'll see if that turns out to have been a good decision or not. I liked the chiropractor's way of working and I liked the change's in Tuck's posture and expression as she went. This is not technically a new thing; he has had chiro in the past, but this was a new-to-us practitioner and ponyboy is sometimes so busy cataloging the changes in his body that our communication can get a bit clumsy for a day or two -- so I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will sort that out today in his field.
After much thought, I've decided to start the ride in my jump saddle and then potentially switch to the Wintec after the first loop. I remain convinced that the jump saddle is not viable as an endurance-saddle long-term, but it worked for our previous rides and I know that I can ride effectively in it even if he's amped for the first few miles. The Wintec sans blocks I think is very workable but I suspect I might get a little loose in it if he gets silly and I just don't see that helping our cause. So I think splitting the difference gives us the best chance we're going to from the options available to us right now.
So there's violation the second: because I opted not to hop on him today, this will be my first ride in that saddle since the last flocking adjustment. (First real ride, I should say. I tooled around the indoor in it for a bit while the fitter watched, to see if we'd preserved the saddle's balance, but that hardly counts.)
And violation potentially the third. I have a HAF pad and also a pad with integrated sheepskin that for
various reasons came into my possession too late to have been meaningfully test-ridden. By which I mean, the former has barely touched his back and the latter, I've ridden him under once. He went fine under the sheepskin, and both look fine in static fit, but obviously that's a far, far cry from going 50. So I could ride him on Saturday using our regular pads. Or I could rig him with one (or both, though not at the same time!) of these. Potential back protection and maybe mitigation of slight saddle misfit versus the wildcard of new-at-the-ride tack. Don't be stupid versus might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb?
I did buy ten pounds of carrots at the grocery store today. So hopefully Tuck will forgive me for any and all mistakes that I am about to make.
I'm sure he will! It's a learning process :)
ReplyDeletePonder ponder. If it were me, I'd probably stick with the known saddle pad just so you're not worrying about both saddle AND pad.
ReplyDeleteMy first ride with hoof boots? Also my first LD. Granted the pony had worn hoof boots of a different kind very briefly before, but nothing that actually fit for any distance. In hindsight, not the best idea.. but it did end up working out just fine, so there is yet hope for you!
Carrots: the best solution to all pony-involved mistakes!
I can't help but weigh in on this one, even though I've never actually done an official endurance ride, and that probably makes any of my opinions invalid:) Anyway, I think the advice about not trying something new before the ride is good...but...life happens. If this was a ride you really cared about and you hoped to be very competitive, messing around with saddles and pads and pre-ride chiro is probably not a good idea. However, it sounds like you're just in it to try it and finish with some luck. How are you going to know what works for you unless you try it on a 50? Maybe just bring a spare pad, so you can swap out at a vet check if Tucker seems annoyed. And with the chiro, you may find that it works well or that it doesn't. Either way you learn something that you wouldn't have known if you hadn't tried it. Wishing you lots of luck!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I need to remind you to, you know, breath and stuff. :)
ReplyDeleteThe nice thing about the rides is you do have the vet check at the halfway point (at least that used to be the norm) and you'll have opportunities to check stuff out as you go. With as observant of details as you are I'm pretty sure you'll catch any problems before they become big problems.
Have fun!!
WHO COULD POSSIBLY BREATHE AT A TIME LIKE THIS?!?!?
Delete;)
*so much love* I wish so badly that I could be there to crew!! I am so excited for you and SO PROUD of you and Tucker both. No matter how this ride goes, the fact that you're HERE is an accomplishment. (But I am sending loads of good luck wishes so that it goes smoothly!)
ReplyDeleteAs far as trying something new - while I agree that it's a good rule of thumb for important competitions or what have you, I also know that sometimes it simply isn't possible to _not_ make adjustments at the last minute. I think giving yourself room to be flexible is the way to go. I mean, if you already HAD a saddle and pad combo that was working brilliantly, then OF COURSE switching things up before a ride would be a mistake. But in this case, I think your strategy is sound. I would probably stick with the pads you know and just keep the new ones in reserve for emergency, but you have a good sense of how things work for him so whatever your gut tells you on ride day will be the right answer. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Never try anything new at a ride" is more often honored in the breach than in the observance. About every third ride I do, I manage to not try anything new.
ReplyDeleteHere's the thing: if you're moving up in distance or days, you're by definition trying new things. You can't just use what worked at your last 50, because there WAS no previous 50, and nothing you have is "proven" to work at the 50 mile distance. This last minute advice will either greatly cheer you up or make you cry. ;)
Give him many carrots, ride conservatively, and have fun!