(Tightening the short girth from on top, had trouble getting the billet strap back in its keeper, took off a glove and got it done but dropped the glove while straightening up. Hopped off to get it and then figured I'd try trotting along on my own power until we reached the next handy mounting rock. Tuck was obliging and obedient, but pretty sure I'd lost my mind.)
Oh, well. Not like I didn't know that fitness comma my near-complete lack thereof is suboptimal. I keep making headway by jamming off-horse workouts in around the edges of everything else and then predictably everything else gets crazy and I let 'em slide. Tackling this with intent is on the list for Tucker's vacation-time this winter, but there is no time or energy or brainpower for One More Thing right now.
(And the rain is foiling me at every turn! I keep getting half a block down the street for pit bull to 5k and then it starts to pour. This is okay by me but definitely Not Okay by the pit bull, who gives me sadface until I take her home again. She is the most delicate flower.)
Tuck and I are enjoying our taper, which is mostly tack-adjustments for me and shameless begging for him:
![]() |
| Iiiiiiiiiiiiiit's carrot time! |
His new-grown fuzzy coat is the precise shade of an autumn-brown leaf.
Other than that, it's been all short hacks to keep him occupied and rideable while I fuss with saddles. I am feeling cautiously optimistic! The Passier (with a slimmer-profile set of leathers -- success!) is definitely the leading contender but the Wintec was much improved by the removal of the blocks and I was glad to be out in that one when the wind blustered across the hill this evening and threatened a hard branch-baring rain.
Ah, New England. Never change.

Is your barn ROUND? It's beautiful! So fancy!
ReplyDeleteGlad both the saddles are maybe kinda gonna work - choosing between the two sucks, but it sucks less than "ugh neither of these work." And yeah, running is so awful at first. Actually, it's awful all the time...
It is! I'm not sure how old the barn itself is, but it's a really neat (and really functional -- the middle is feed room, wash stall, etc.) structure. And cozy in the winter, too!
ReplyDeleteHalf my problem is that I used to run semi-seriously when I was in between horse phases. Loved it to pieces and in my memory, I am nineteen and fit enough to feel strong/fast when I'm running. Rationally I know that I'll get stronger and faster if I just keep at it, but the cognitive dissonance of running in the body I have now is, uh, cause of dismay.
I was going to ask the same question. Neat looking barn.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been able to find a good exercise/fitness routine to save my life lately. One day I ran, rode and went for a long bike ride then did nothing for the rest of the week and a half. Blah!
Well just forgive yourself for missing workouts and start again the next day! Your barn looks cozy!
ReplyDeleteI'm in a similar boat with respect to fitness except that I was never that fit at 19:) I ran a little in high school, but it was never something I enjoyed, and I have spent every year since high school trying to avoid running unless something bad is chasing me. However, I got desperate to lose the babyweight and I started the Couch-to-5K program. I lasted a week before I quit. I just don't think there will ever be enough motivation to turn me into a runner. But, if you find something that works for you, definitely write about it, because I could use some inspiration!:)
ReplyDelete1) Love the barn! Can you take a pic of the outside and Tucker's stall? I've seen a round barn before but the stalls were pretty funky shape-wise.
ReplyDelete2) I SOOOOO feel your pain - in my mind, I'm strong, fit, and can run like the wind. When reality smacks me in the face, all I want to do is collapse on the couch and eat a piece of chocolate.
I'm with Gail. I'm worse than Gail, actually - this is the best shape I've ever been in in my life. Which is cool and sad?
ReplyDelete