Sunday, October 27, 2013

On Holiday

Thank you for the kind words on last post few posts, folks.  I swear I was not actually as mopey as the ride story post sounded!  Mostly I was tired and had apparently left my brain in Vermont.  But encouragement is always appreciated.  So: thanks!

I drove down to our previous barn's area this morning to return some borrowed saddles and have breakfast with the old gang, and as we chatted I joked that Tucker and I had gone native: he's currently barefoot all around, I'm investigating treeless-saddle demo options, and I think I have done more groundwork with him in the last week than in the preceding year.

By which I mean that I popped him on the longe for about two minutes last Sunday to check soundness and
for 15-20min yesterday and today.  He started out a bit naughty yesterday -- perfect storm of time off plus a chill windy day plus sprinkler running at the other corner of the indoor -- and we had a discussion.  Today butter would not have melted in his mouth.  He just marched right around on a consistent circle with a nice contact down the line and did his transitions and a little spiral in/spiral out and looked pretty spectacular.  Definitely better alignment and balance than the last time I longed him with any intent, mumblety months ago, and those improved-out-of-nowhere canter departs he grew last month have apparently stuck around.

This'll be the shape of Tuck's November.  He lost a horrifying noticeable amount of topline while we were grappling with saddle stuff in the month before the 50 attempt -- I had not realized how much until I took pictures the other day for Project: Future Endurance Saddle -- so as much as I would rather be doing anything else but riding than longing, it's probably in everyone's best interest that he do a little redeveloping sans weight on top.  He already looks better after a week off just chilling on the hill in his field, so it shouldn't be a long process, I don't think.

Meanwhile, I'm using the freed-up time to work on reestablishing the habit of getting in a long dog-walk or -hike every day that I can.  The pit bull is thrilled, and I am pretty happy myself!  I had forgotten how much calmer and more content I am when I get out and just move for a hour.  The hope is to build this strongly enough back into my routine that it won't fall by the wayside when I resume riding -- or when my classes ramp up, as is happening right about now and which is the other reason for Tucker's current holiday!

Things may be a little quiet around here for the next few weeks (although I just got a blog award -- thanks! -- so that's one post that'll get written in not-too-distant future), but I will be reading as usual and I'm sure I will have plenty to flail talk about when we enter saddle-and-boot-demo season...

...and a local-rider acquaintance has reminded me that the Vermont Moonlight 50 has an afternoon start time, so even if I don't get horse-camping figured out this winter, I could make it work as a stable-nearby-and-haul-in ride without ride morning being a total panicked at-mercy-of-traffic mess.  Achievement: primary goal for next summer: unlocked!

4 comments:

  1. Have you considered treeless at all for Tuck? Look into Ansurs. I've had minimal issue mounting from the ground with mine and Q is so happy and freer moving than ever with it. I found mine used (nearly new) for a GREAT price. I bet you could, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have and am! The saddle I'm waiting on a demo for is a Sensation and I'm planning to try a Freeform as well. Looking for proof of concept at this point and then we'll go from there. Haven't thought about Ansurs -- no particular reason; they just haven't come on my radar -- but appreciate the data point for sure!

      Delete
  2. Followed You Over From "Calm Forward Straight".

    I've An ANSUR that I'm
    Selling. I Know Exactly
    What Type Of Horse Body
    It'll Fit....Not Mine
    Obviously. It Was A Sad
    Adventure, On My Mares
    Part ,And Mine.

    Carol And DON, Nice
    Folks But , When I
    Ordered My Saddle, They
    Were On A High. They,
    Being In Demand, Didn't
    Take My Comments
    Of"I've Tried 5 Saddles
    And Can't Fit My TB Mare", To Heart.

    Now, I've A Beautiful Barely Used Saddle. My Dream Saddle. So Comfortable It Is. But Not For My Mares Withers. Her Back Loved It's No Points, No Wood Base.

    It's An "All Purpose" , Brown,17 Seat.
    I've Sent It To New York For Trial Before. But No Go There.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Taking$1500. Off The Price. Someone I'd Gonna LOVE THIS Saddle. Of The ANSUR Makers Would Have Listened They Wounds Have Demonstrated Common Sense To Me.Saddle Fitting. Duh! But They Are Under Impression, Treeless Saddles Fill All Horses. No They Don't. Saddle With A Gullet And Channel Mostly For Horses.
    My ANSUR Had A Nice Gullet, But Not High Enough Pommel.
    If You're Horse Had A Wider Back, Broader Shoulders...That's This Saddles Dream Horse.

    ReplyDelete