Monday, May 26, 2014

The Good News About Bad News

I keep having these conversations about endurance -- or Tucker's feet -- or the ongoing saddle saga, in which I detail my worry and frustration and end with, "But at least I'm learning?"

Somewhere along the way, that stopped being a wry we're-all-in-this-together-right? refrain and became absolutely -- even disgustingly! -- sincere.

I've always wanted to Know Things about horses in general and my horse in particular, you know?  But there are so many such things!  It is kind of overwhelming.  Worse, so many of them are so important. I've historically erred on the side of hand-off-and-trust-my-professionals in large part because I didn't want to be responsible for screwing 'em up.

Now, somehow, the priorities have shifted.  I still don't want to be responsible for screwing up, say, Tuck's feet or his back, but the cost/benefit ratio has shifted and now me trying to understand this stuff is -- not as important as getting it right, certainly, but way more important than it was.  I've fallen in with some new-to-me folks who have made the learning a lot more empowering and a lot less scary.  And even the bad news -- oh, look, yet another saddle that isn't the one! -- is still information, which means learning, which means useful down the road.

That's the good news.

For those of you who like to know who you're reading about, here's a very short clip of Tuck and I trotting around the indoor the other day.  This is a pretty average fresh-out-of-the-stall trot, a little lower and more closed in front than I'd like him, and yes, the saddle is moving too much at the cantle; this was actually taken so I could evaluate that better than I was managing just by looking in the mirrors.  But it occurred to me that I don't know if I've ever posted video on this blog?  And I have no idea when I'll be able to get, say, a dressage lesson filmed.  So if you'd like to see Tuck's warm-up trot and my staring-at-his-neck habit, it is your lucky day:




No comments:

Post a Comment