But the panic started to wear off, and a few folks encouraged me to take him out, and as Amanda said, we had seen most of the loop while driving around, and damnit, I wanted to ride through a covered bridge.
So we tacked him up and off I went, figuring that I'd turn back if he felt the least little bit funny.
He didn't even have the grace to feel tired. The second the saddle went on, he was all business, and lined right out down the road.
We left ridecamp at ~10:30am. The 50-milers had headed out on their first loop (25 miles) at 7; the LD started at 8 or 8:30 on their first go-round of 15-mile loop that was also the second loop of the 50; both rides had had a 45min hold. So the first couple of horses that we saw were going past us! I chatted briefly with a fellow rider at the first water stop and thanked the landowner while trying to convince Tuck to worry about the water instead of about the donkeys.
At around 4 or 5 miles, a rider caught us; he ended up being our buddy for the rest of the ride, thus continuing my streak of accidentally falling in with 100-milers; he was prepping his horse for the Vermont Moonlight 100 and shared lots of great info about local rides, including cluing me into a local-to-me rail trail that I will definitely be checking out for conditioning purposes. His horse moved along a bit more on the downhills and my little lead dog was happy to serve as rabbit on the ups. I was really happy with our pace; it felt comfortable and unhurried, with plenty of pauses for grass and water (and Tuck did do a little sipping on trail!), but purposeful, too.
![]() |
| I got my covered bridge photo! |
Around 12 miles, I was glad to have made that decision. I ran out of water and had left ridecamp in too much of a hurry to elyte my bottles or put sunblock on, so the warm-and-sunny was getting to me, as was the mental and emotional fatigue of the multi-hour search. Tuck felt fantastic all the way in; I have zero doubt that he could have gone around the second loop just fine. But I was ready to be done.
![]() |
| Grabbing a snack and loosening girths. |
![]() |
| Derping on in to the finish. |
![]() | |
| Crew area. |
![]() |
| More crew area. |





Yay for the bridge photo! I'm glad there was a happy ending despite the early chaos!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to do at least one loop. It looks like it was really lovely.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Sounds like an ideal way to spend the rest of the morning. ;)
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would have been able to ride after the Great Escape, but glad you were able to do a loop AND hang out with a veteran.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to do at least part of the ride and get your covered bridge photo! Sounds like a great ending to what started out as an awful day!
ReplyDelete