Our
other weekend adventure was dressage lesson #3.
We
went longer than I’d intended – about six weeks – between lessons but I felt
pretty good about it. Gave me a chance
to work on my biomechanics without feeling any self-imposed pressure or
judgment about not being perfect yet. I
do nnnnot mean that I think it’s waste for an instructor to keep reminding a
rider to fix their position! That’s part
of the job and part of learning; it is a necessity, especially during the
phases when the student isn’t able to tell when they’re right and when they’re
not. But I was at the point with a
couple of the position tweaks where what I really needed was to spend some time
self-correcting and it was really useful and relaxing to be able to do that on
my own time.
(Also,
we just got mirrors in the indoor and now I can see everything. Hurrah!
And also: oh, no!)
And
apparently it paid off! At start of
lesson #3, I said, “Keeping my toes forward and heels away had gotten way
better! But then I went on vacation and
now it’s all over the place again!” and instructor offered reassurance that
retraining muscle memory takes time and we went to work – and I didn’t hear
about my feet at all during the lesson. So
I guess the notice-and-correct is starting to become a habit, even if the
position itself isn’t there yet.
We’d
talked previous lesson about weighting the inside stirrup to turn and I’d come
up with a question during our solo rides: was I supposed to be stepped down
into the stirrup or moving my weight over the new inside leg? The latter, it turns out, along a certain
amount of turn in the torso. (That is,
keeping the rider’s hips aligned with the horse’s and the rider’s shoulder
ditto – which is not a new idea to me, but seems much more functional now that I’m
riding in less of a desperate pretzel!)
So
after the initial warm-up walk and trot, we worked on circles and spiral
in/spiral out to investigate that aid.
From there we touched on the leg-yield, initially quarter-line to wall
but then quarter-line to quarter-line to take better advantage of the
mirrors. Ridden more forward and
straight, Tuck is less inclined to bulge through the shoulder than in previous
lives, but tends to step just to his midline rather than cross his legs over –
but adding a well-timed whip-tap was really helpful. I think these should improve nicely now that
I can see what’s going on (and thus calibrate my feel)!
Our
canter work included smaller circles: 10-12m, reaching forward to pat with the inside
hand to test the overall bend and connection.
Going left, all was well.
Tracking right was harder, with Tuck’s nose tending to tip to the
outside, almost certainly due to my right-hand dominance and our long history
of crookedness. So we’ll keep working on
this, and on the related challenges we ran into schooling forward-and-back in
the canter on a large circle. Forward
was good! A little hesitant at first,
but basically good. Back was hard, both in
terms of the compression (for Tuck) and the coordination of aids without
falling into the trap of holding (for meeeeeeee).
Instructor
liked that Tuck reacted to the challenge by getting a little spicy and
continuing to try, though. He’s not the
sort to touch his limit and shut down as a result and I really appreciate it
when folks appreciate that about him. He
has an awfully high opinion of himself – but so do I, so it works out okay.
Sounds like a wonderful, productive lesson! I envy you your mirrors! :) It's so helpful when you can see what you're doing while you're doing it!
ReplyDeleteThe mirrors are amazing! I’ve ridden in arenas with a mirror here and a reflective surface there, but now one entire short side is covered and the difference it makes to be able to see that much is HUGE. Rumor has it we’re also going to mirror part of one long side as well. Best barn – we are so spoiled!
DeleteI miss the mirrors from my last barn, although they were the hit and miss kind. Even so, everything helps when you're schooling on your own!:). And I like the forward to compressed canter exercise. We do that at the trot fairly frequently, but when I read your post, I realized we should start doing it at the canter too, so thanks for the inspiration!:)
ReplyDelete