- I ran the Passier dressage saddle, my Toklat Matrix sheepskin XC competition pads with shims upgraded to the Ortho-Impacts, and added a breastplate (albeit so loosely-adjusted that I'm not sure it ever came into effect). I was very comfy and Tuck seemed to be ditto, and his back was perfect after the loop. The Great Saddle Hunt continues, but I feel much better about this as a viable option in the interim.
- Continuing to really like the Myler combo as a trail bit. Tuck was mostly his usual confident-but-rideable self, but he got kind of strong in the last few miles when I was insisting that we mosey downhill and he thought it would be better to keep up with the horses ahead. I could communicate effectively without shortening his neck/stiffening his back -- and without feeling like I had too much bit or was overpowering him when he was good.
- Renegades! All four boots were perfect: no budging, no twisting, not a hair out of place when I took 'em off him after the loop, and he moved confidently and well. A+++++.
- I have so much love right now for the distance-riding and rural-Vermont-and-New-Hampshire communities. I kept thinking while we were out searching for Tucker of that Kate Braestrup interview where she talks about how family members tend to react to search-and-rescue operations: "You know, we didn't know this many people cared about us." And: yeah. This was a bunch of folks who didn't know me or Tucker at all and who took time out of their day -- on a day when they had plenty else to worry about -- to help us and it made for a lovely bit of grace in the middle of everything else.
- That horse, man. I still can't believe how fantastic and cheerful he was on the loop after the morning's shenanigans. Talk about resilience, man. He can be a pest and he can worry me endless, but when it comes to doing his job and rising to the occasion, he is the absolute best. That is all.
NEGATIVE
- It wasn't objectively a Very Hot day, but the perfect storm of inadequate pre-ride hydration, unelyted water in my bottles and then running out at 10 miles, and failing to apply sunblock (or chapstick, ohhhhh, I was longing for chapstick!) had me way more fried in way less time than anticipated. Tucker was in great shape; Tucker had somebody obsessing over his drinking and mixing elytes and carrots with his meals. (I again opted not to syringe elytes; I keep thinking I need to at least develop a plan for that option even if I don't implement same, but it frankly scares me, so I keep chickening out.) I am usually good about managing my own care, but this time not so much and I definitely paid for it. Which is kind of interesting, but dumb.
- I can solve most of the above bullet easily enough, but I'm not sure how to carry enough water for a hot loop or a longer one without adding a pommel bag (fine) and taking up the space I would normally use for carrots and ride snacks for water bottles instead (not so fine). Maybe time to take another look at hydration bladder options, for my body or for on the horse. But yuck, I hate them so. (Actually, this is one downside to the Passier: the cantle bag I have really doesn't work properly on it at all. I really need to rethink my whole saddlebag system but I'm honestly not sure where to go with it, so I keep putting it off and making do.)
- In case anybody was still wondering whether mental/emotional fatigue is a thing, it definitely is. Physically, once rehydrated I felt in good shape. My calves and hip flexors are a wee bit sore, and ditto that my lower back and neck which I had tweaked Saturday evening while not even touching a horse, but basically I am good to go...aside the part where I was a braindead wiped-out zombie for 24+ hours post-ride. It's actually about the level of brain-tired that I used to feel after eventing, and which I remember noticing that I didn't feel last year after a distance ride. Chasing a horse around the countryside for 4 hours is comparable stress-wise to a one-day horse trial at Training, apparently.
- That minor detail where the horse freed himself from the trailer and went walkabout. Our next ride is at GMHA, so he'll be in a stall and I have some time to ponder. I would dearly love a high-tie but I'm not sure it makes sense for us and our situation. I have some vague thoughts about future horse-retention efforts but should probably let the adrenaline wear off and forget the ones that involve duct tape before I make any next moves.
- What kind of freak horse gets loose and runs down the road instead of hanging out in the big grassy field with all the other horses in it? Or the next big grassy field with other horses in it? Or the one after that? I have always been a little smug about how not-herdbound he is, but what the eff, Tucker? You're still a horse, right? Right? ...right?
- Where did he go, anyway? He was headed off onto and found strolling one of the loops, and he was gone for about 4 hours. I assume he wasn't actually following the scent of the CTR horses from yesterday the whole way, if only because surely someone driving around or one of the riders would have seen him if so...but I also assume he wasn't just hanging out in somebody's yard all that time, because ditto. So where was he all that time How much ground did he cover? I would love to know.
- Have decided to stick my vet card for this uncompleted AERC ride in the mug that I have on my bookshelf from my last uncompleted AERC ride. It will be the mug of failure! How many more non-completion tokens do we think I'll collect before my first proper completion award? Here's to finding new and interesting ways to go astray!


oh man, Hannah - all the hugs.
ReplyDeleteHORSES. They are the best/worst!
DeleteI'm curious about what Tucker was thinking too. I've always thought that if my horse escaped, he'd stop at the first patch of grass and gorge himself until he was discovered. Maybe something spooked Tuck? Or maybe he just got bitten by the explorer bug? Or maybe he just wanted to check out the trails ahead of time to be prepared?:)
ReplyDeleteI think I am going with, HE IS A WEIRDO.
Delete