Monday, December 2, 2013

Getting Back on the Horse

Vacation over!

Tuck had most of last week off while I was out of town and otherwise occupied.  He got a workout on the longe on Saturday and again on Sunday in much abbreviated form -- I currently have a grand total of zero saddles in my possession and figured it was best to hedge my bets -- and then I hopped aboard.

Some pony gave me horrified ears!

But once back to work, he was back to work.  We didn't do much: ten minutes of walking, ten of walk/trotting, and a few more to cool out, not that he had gotten even remotely warmed up.  Mostly I just wanted to see where he was at.  Pretty pleased with what I found!  The quirks that I had kind of figured were at least partly learned behavior are, alas, still present, but physically he feels great.  Straight, even, stronger over his back, and a bit more bounce and rounder feel to his trot.  He seemed glad to be working and was all snuggly happy-ears when we were done.

Me, I felt in some ways fitter and in others, a bit all over the place.  Project: Improve Rider Fitness has been semi-successful.  I've reestablished the habit of non-riding exercise!  I'm getting in 60+min of hiking or dog-walking at least five days per week and some form of strength sets at least three or four; I feel somewhat fitter and definitely my headspace is better.  But I had hoped to be running some, at this point, and to be just generally farther along, and that hasn't happened.  Something beats nothing, though, and I have a plan of attack, and halfway through December I will get back the chunk of my life currently dedicated to my classes, so I this the time is right for a segue into Project: Rerunner.

(I think most of you already know about the Rider Fit Facebook group?  But if not, it is a great little group -- very encouraging and reasonable.)

It is awfully good to be back.  I've missed seeing the world through those radar ears!  We'll ease back in with light flatting in the indoor this week -- since it's near dark when I get to the barn after work anyway -- and then I hope to get out over the weekend for some hacking.  Looks like I may receive a demo endurance saddle at the end of this week or early next.  And the round barn will be hosting a clinic right after New Year's -- I am signed up and very excited to get some guidance as we return to the jumping and the dressaging.

Onward!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting to ride! Building fitness slowly is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome that you're getting out that much for hiking etc!

    ReplyDelete