Good news! The pony will live.
Here is the lameness vet visit tango: vet pulls up with plans A through G in mind based on symptoms as described. Preliminary examination complete, which much admiration for Tuck's basic soundness and clean-legged-ness. His range of motion is fantastic! He flexes and palpates great! Further discussion in which I assure vet that it's okay to tell me if I am a crazy person. Exam continues into motion and I am not a crazy person; symptoms are present albeit mild.
We went ahead with injecting the stifles. The hocks seem in good order, so that's a relief! Got some reaction at the lumbar back but didn't merit an ultrasound at this point. He'll stay in his stall for the rest of today, go back out tomorrow, light work only for five days but fine to jump him on Saturday. About three weeks to see full effect.
I did my little joint-injection spiel the other day on Funder's post: I'm comfortable with injecting to maintain comfort and
performance; I would not be comfortable with injecting to increase
performance. I suppose one could argue that trying to move a horse up to 50s is an increase in performance, but what I mean by that is work that puts more pressure on the joints in question. When I had his hocks done in 2012, frex, it was with the private understanding that it meant I would not ask him to run Prelim. Doing the same (basically horse-friendly!) work for more miles feels qualitatively different to me than asking for higher fences or significantly greater collect. Yes, the risk of entering a joint with a needle is non-zero and I'll be keeping watch, but given a skilled and careful vet, I consider the risk:benefit ratio acceptable.
So here we are. Either the injections will help, which is useful information, or they won't, which is information, too.
In the meantime, Tuck is a hilarious drunk!
PS Resting heart rate? 24.
Fingers crossed the injections help him.
ReplyDeleteHope they help!
ReplyDeleteHope it goes well!
ReplyDeleteHoping all goes welL!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
ReplyDeleteHoping this finally fixes the problem! And YEESSSSS for the resting heart rate of 24!!
ReplyDeleteSending you good energy... Remember she said mild... I run constantly with the thought that Sug is broken... Everyone helps me clear my head around that?
ReplyDeleteWhat did the vet use for the injections? A friend who gets joint injections for her knees was telling me that her doctor alternates with a steroid and some kind of artificial joint fluid. She said the artificial joint fluid helps the most, but is super expensive. I'm just curious if the same options exist for horses...
ReplyDelete