Here is how much I like the folks at the round barn, you guys: when they invite me to hack out in company, I say yes. Even right now when I have had it up to my eyeballs with socialization and would like nothing more than to curl up with a dog and a book and speak to no one ever again.
In other miracles, what had promised to be a weekend of start to finish disgusting rain turned instead into a dry and pleasantly warm Saturday followed by a Sunday of mist.
Yesterday we hacked over the mountain and into, quite possibly, Narnia. The temperature dropped ten degrees as we reached bottom on the far side and while we never did find the lamppost, trotting along the dirt road on good horses in six inches of near-perfect snow was about as magical as it gets.
Also we jumped a pair of fallen logs and when Tucker landed bucking after the second, I am pretty sure some benevolent otherworldly force must have counteracted physics and gravity in keeping me on top...!
My first wacky demo endurance saddle was waiting when I got home from the barn, so today's project was putting it on top of the horse and then me on top of the saddle and seeing what we thought. This is a treeless saddle, and not one of the common endurance models, but I figured that if I am going to ask a pro fitter for her opinion I might as well try what she recommends.
First impression: weeeeeeeeeeeeird. Feels more bareback-pad-y than I'd hoped, but is better-balanced than the last (and only other) treeless saddle than I've ever sat in. Stability was fine, albeit we only rode figures in the indoor which is not exactly a severe test. I have no idea how people use these saddles on those wide table-topped horses; this made Tucker feel wide -- not uncomfortably so, but the Tuckmeister is not a broad-backed creature, so I can only imagine. Also, getting a girth on the first billet holes while all that foam is uncompressed without said girth being way too long to do its job once the rider is untopped is maybe an acquired skill?
Speaking of all that foam, here is something that I didn't think through: the implications of adding significant padding to a horse whose ribcage narrows sharply halfway down his sides. Getting my leg on was. Uh. Interesting?
But Tucker went awfully well, which was cool, and as I got the hang of it, I was happier than expected with how the saddle let me sit and ride. I'll keep playing with it and we'll see. (The Skito pad that came with it is super-sexy, though. I am unreservedly in love.)
Finished up at the same time as barnmate, so I pulled the saddle off and we headed out into the mist along -- more magic! -- a relatively newly-cleared trail that I've had a little trouble following at one end but that was somehow perfectly clear in the snow.
I drove into the rain going home.
Current plan is a little more ringwork tomorrow evening and then Tuesday is a half-day at work, so I will be at the barn with light enough to try the demo saddle out on trail. And every day, a little more light than the day before. But I am betting there are a few more moonlight snow rides ahead of us yet.
The ride in the snow with the mist sounds like a dream come true! Liz at In Omnia Paratus LOVES her Ansur treeless, but my balance felt off when I tried it out. Granted it was only for like 10 minutes, so it might have felt different if tried for longer. It will be interesting to see your opinion as you continue the trial; some horses do fantastically well in treeless saddles. I hope you find a good match for both you and Tucker very soon!
ReplyDeleteI have heard good things about the Ansurs, though they're a bit spendy for my budget right now. I have a feeling treeless is one of those things that you either love or you hate. I'm skeptical, honestly, but at this point I figure I might as well try it and see.
DeleteThe visual of riding into Narnia was wonderful! The saddle sounds interesting.
ReplyDeleteHa, thank you! I was proud of it. :-p
DeleteNarnia? Fabulous.
ReplyDeleteTreeless? My hips hurt just considering the idea...but that's my weak point, probably not yours. Keep us posted!
I have a friend who ended up with a weird hip injury related to a treeless saddle, so it's definitely in the back of my mind.
DeleteMy Sensation Treeless is the most comfortable saddle I've found for super crappy hips. Balance Saddles, the treed option I tried, are SOOOOOOO WIDE. OMG WIDE.
DeleteThe Sensation folks were really great to chat with and redirected me to a closer fitter to reduce my shipping costs -- and nearby!fitter has also really impressed me! Unfortunately the consensus is that a Sensation would be a gamble with Tuck's back shape, so we're looking at other options for now. Never thought he had aggressive withers! LOL
DeleteOne of the Haffies has a recently-acquired not-high-end treeless saddle. This particular horse I am accustomed to riding bareback or with bareback pad, so I figured it couldn't be too bad. Alas, just as you discovered, it makes for an exceptionally wide horse, and I had awful problems getting my leg on without torquing either knee or ankle. It's actually really reassuring that you had some of the same issues, as I was inclined to blame the saddle otherwise. I did find that most of the issues were negligible an hour in and I was comfortable enough to school the pony through some attitude. Curious to hear how you end up liking it (or not)!
ReplyDeleteAlso: Narnia. So jealous. I still have visions of someday hacking through snow like that. Lovely!
I am intrigued to hear that this might not just be a feature of Tuck's weird conformation! I did feel like I was riding more effectively by the end of our short session (and there are worse things in the world than a saddle that won't let me get away with nagging with my heels), so we shall see!
DeleteSnow hacks, especially under a full moon, make any amount of weather-related inconvenience worthwhile. :)
Also, may I ask what model & brand of treeless this was? Not for critique or comparison! Or at least, not for that here, or towards/at you. Instead for my own databanks of horse-gear geekery :)
ReplyDelete