Thursday, December 19, 2013

Stopping By Woods, Etc.



So much for a Tuesday night ride!  Between the traffic and the snow, my twenty-five mile commute home turned into a three-hour tour.  I tried briefly to the get to the barn – the first stretch of highway was so slow that I figured the other route to the barn could not possibly be worse, but it turned out that it could!  But that highway put me in better position to bail onto the back roads, where I could at least out of first gear, so all’s well that ends.

Finally made it out last night.  I was on a mission.  Threw Tuck’s bridle and my helmet on, climbed onto his blanketed back, and followed the last of the light out into the snow.  Perfect hacking snow -- knee-deep without being heavy or icy.  We crossed the field, climbed the hill, slipped through the trees and then paused, quiet and still in the gathering dark.

You can't see his ears, but I promise they're in the frame.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't ridden in real snow in a long time. Sounds so nice, cold but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a balmy 30degF -- a nice change from earlier in the week!

      Delete
  2. I keep looking for the ears but its too dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping they'd turn up when I uploaded the pic, but no. :(

      Delete