Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pleasantly Surprised

Took a couple more pictures of the Tuckmeister this evening for saddle search purposes.  Here, have a weirdly-angled conformation shot.




He is a little chunky right now!

I have noticed more and more over the last month that he's starting to set himself up square.  Not every time, but more than he used to.  Don't know if that's a foot thing or a vacation thing or what, but it's interesting.

Also I am kind of in love with this length of mohawk.  Short enough to stand on end, long enough to ruffle.  Perfect!

I will admit that I was foot-dragging on my way to the barn tonight.  Not so much because of the cold, although it was cold, as because it was dark and I'm getting over being sick and I am eyeball-deep in classwork and because with the temperature changes I figured Tuck would be stiff and that working him would be no fun for either of us.

But he booked it up the hill when I called him!  And actually moved great during his 10min longe, with a nice range of gears on display in the trot.  And continued to go well with me aboard.  I hadn't cantered him under no-saddle yet, this side of his vacation, mostly because of my stupid weak thigh muscles and not wanting to sack-of-potatoes the poor dude.  But we came around the turn and it was right there, so I asked, and he stepped right off into the loveliest little canter.  More pleasant than powerful, but awfully pleasant.

I hopped off not long after.  He was going well; I didn't see any profit in pushing.  Tried to work up a little guilt for not Working Harder and Doing More, but eh, just couldn't be bothered.  This is a thing that I love about seasons, both climate-wise and horse-competitive: they lend a shape to the year, and let there be clear times to work a little harder and other clear times to kick back.

Current rumor is that we may get some snoooooooooooow this weekend.  Keep your fingers crossed that it's hackable, okay?  Okay!

10 comments:

  1. He's a good-looking man! Glad you had such a great ride on him!

    And fingers crossed for hackable snow for you. :) We've been thoroughly enjoying it over this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, love the length of mohawk! One of the things I miss about Odie. I just don't think Goose can pull off that look. But your handsome man really can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, he is looking like a tank! Hopefully you are able to hack snow or no!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! Still LOL at how chunky he is. I want to Photoshop a Spartan onto his back or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how solid he looks from this angle, and at this weight! Snow will come, and then it will last... really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty boy. His back shape is similar to my horse, and if that's true then good luck with saddle fitting because I've had a hell of a time with it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a trainer who told me that horses stand crooked if they aren't balanced. His perspective was that if your horse is balanced under saddle that it will carry over to how they look at rest. I'm not sure I've ever seen any formal information on this topic, but it might be that the work you're doing with Tucker is helping him be more balanced and you're starting to see that on the ground.

    ReplyDelete